South Elevation of home-very similar to Byrne/Reed home
Another view of south elevation
Historic photo of John Chiles
Chiles Pharmacy on Congress ave at 6th Street
Historic photo of Chiles living room
Historic photo of Chiles kitchen with Mansbendel lattice work and carvings
Another view of Chiles kitchen
Classically carved and painted floral relief by Mansbendel
Floral carving detail and Mansbendel signature
Family room fireplace mantle in oak
John Chiles/John Brady Architect/Builder:
Judge John BradyYear:
Prairie SchoolAreas of Significance:
John Chiles bought this home located at 1606 West Avenue (now razed) in 1912 from Judge John Brady. Brady built the home for himself in 1912, but realized the house was too large and sold it to Chiles. John H. Chiles was born in Selma, Alabama, moved to Elgin, Texas with his parents at the age of two, was educated in Georgetown, and began his business career in Austin. Prior to 1900, Chiles owned and operated a railroad line from the city to the first Austin dam, and operated recreational facilities near the dam. In 1899, he married the granddaughter of Governor Andrew Jackson Hamilton. Some of the Chiles’ furniture had belonged to the Governor.
Chiles owned and operated Chiles Pharmacy Store at Sixth & Congress, where the Scarborough Building is now located, for 20 years. He sold drugs to the Blind and Deaf Schools and was a very prosperous man. He was also the director and vice president of Austin National Bank, and the president of Austin White Lime Company until he retired in the mid-1930s and sold his interest to Alfred Robinson. Chiles lived in his JH home until his death in 1963. Peter Mansbendel carved trim in the interior, including a floral piece over the mantle – one of very few he created with color.