Buddington-Benedict-Sheffield Compound Architect/Builder:
Updated by Arthur FehrYear:
TexasAreas of Significance:
AustinBuddington-Benedict-Sheffield Compound in Austin
his compound located in the Aldridge Place/Hemphill Park Neighborhood was originally built by Albert and Rebecca Buddington in 1860. In 1921, it became the home of Harry T. Benedict, a mathematician who served as a UT professor and president. .Delia Edwards, a rich oil man's widow from Laredo, bought the Buddington property and in 1938 commissioned Arthur Fehr to build a cottage for her daughter according to Wilhelmine Sheffield who bought the property in 1947 and was the realtor who sold it to Delia Edwards. Arthur Fehr (Architect) was employed by the National Parks Service in 1934-1936 and built the cottages for the Bastrop-Buescher State Park in the "Lost Pines" and the cottage on the property resembles that work. . Wilhelmne Sheffield,also enclosed the property with a 20' wall. The compound also features Weigl ironwork likely added during the Arthur Fehr update.